With the AIA BA (Hons) in Accountancy you will have the unique opportunity to participate in an exchange programme for one year, with work experience of three months. You will gain invaluable experience of living and working in another country and culture—whilst achieving your degree and the AIA Professional Qualification.
This is a special study exchange programme for undergraduate students on the programme. However, if you are an undergraduate at any university in Malaysia or the UK, you can transfer to our programme and one of our participating universities, without losing any of your study time and the modules, semesters and syllabus you have already covered.
Period: 1 year (with the option to extend)
Work Experience: Three months' work experience (with the option to extend)
Countries: Malaysia and UK
Credit Transfer and Exemptions: Yes
Professional Qualification: AIA
You can choose to take part in the Study Exchange Programme for the second year of your course, or you can opt for one or two semesters in your second or third year of study.
If you’re a UK student who intends on applying for the exchange programme in your second year—and you are taking year-long modules—the earliest that you can expect to participate in the exchange, would be the February semester of your second year.
Under the one year study exchange programme you will earn degree credits and gain three months' work experience.
Studying abroad can provide the experience of a lifetime, read on for the benefits of study exchange programmes.
Student exchange programmes provide you with opportunities that you simply could not get anywhere else. Whether you want to travel in order to earn credits, broaden your horizons, or experience a new culture, there are plenty of benefits to be had.
One of the main reasons why students choose to participate in exchange programmes is for the learning opportunities they provide. Aside from simply earning credits in basic subjects, you can also become acceptant of alternative ways to learn. You will learn to analyse the things around you in a constructive manner and learn how to solve problems on your own.
- International learning and knowledge propels you towards acceptance and understanding of an array of different cultural and community perspectives.
- Awareness and adoption of alternative, multi-faceted approaches to learning.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Enhanced interest in global issues as well as a broader general knowledge.
While adding to your education is very important, you can also benefit on a personal level. By having the opportunity to discover yourself in a place that is unfamiliar to you, you develop self-awareness and self-esteem, you will learn the ability to confront social challenges outside of your comfort zone and deal with problems head-on.
- Self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem. This is often the most noticeable change in returned exchange students.
- Maturity and social poise, fuelled by the necessity to confront challenges outside a familiar support network and comfort zone.
- A tremendous sense of accomplishment upon completion encourages students to develop independent opinions, make informed decisions and strive to attain fresh goals.
Although an exchange programme is typically only a semester or a single academic year in length, students who participate in them learn skills that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Once you've has finished your university education and are actively seeking employment, there is no doubt that employers will look favourably upon students who have travelled around the world. The social changes that take place in exchange students are remarkable; they are often more flexible in any ‘foreign’ situation, whether this means taking a new job, embarking on a new course of study or speaking publicly in front of their peers.
- Students find themselves more comfortable in ‘foreign’ environments.
- Prospective employers in almost every field look favourably upon experience gained while living overseas and knowledge obtained of another language and culture.
- Increased pressure to communicate and relate to others develops an awareness of group dynamics and personal sensitivity towards others.
- Successful programme completion represents an excellent measure of personal flexibility, encompassing an ability to reach compromise, focus and succeed through challenging times.
You will be able to learn about the things that interest you in new and exciting ways, all the while earning credits that can be transferred to your home university. Hands-on learning is a primary focus, meaning that you will have the opportunity to apply your knowledge in a constructive way in the workplace.
Student exchange programmes can have a positive impact on your life and your education, both in the short-term and for the rest of your life. This programme is an excellent opportunity for you to gain new interests, get an education and gain an appreciation for diversity all at the same time.